Home | Tutorials | Wiki | Issues
Ask Your Question
0

<sensor> elements in .urdf disappearing when converting to .sdf

asked 2013-10-13 13:05:03 -0500

arocchi gravatar image

updated 2013-10-14 02:32:56 -0500

Hello everyone, I am working on the URDF description of the IIT COMAN robot, and I'm having some difficulties in inserting the gazebo force_torque sensor in my robot description. Inserting the element directly into the sdf file solves the problem, but at the moment we are working on the urdf description (which gets converted to sdf using gzsdf). Putting the element inside the .gazebo or inside the .urdf doesn't seem to make a difference. The description of the robot we are using is https://github.com/EnricoMingo/iit-co... Could someone give me instructions on how to correctly insert the sensor in the urdf or gazebo files? So far I tried the following syntax:

In the .gazebo file

<gazebo reference="LElbj">
    <cfmDamping>1</cfmDamping>
    <provideFeedback>true</provideFeedback>
    <sensor type="force_torque" name="LElbj_FT">
    <always_on>true</always_on>
    <visualize>true</visualize>
    <update_rate>1000</update_rate>
    </sensor>
</gazebo>

In the .gazebo, after including the right xmlns:sensor in the <robot> element

<gazebo reference="LElbj">
<cfmDamping>1</cfmDamping>
<provideFeedback>true</provideFeedback>
<sensor:force_torque name="LElbj_FT">
<always_on>true</always_on>
<visualize>true</visualize>
<update_rate>1000</update_rate>
</sensor:force_torque>

</gazebo>

In the .urdf

<joint name="RElbj" type="revolute">
<parent link="RShy"/>
<child link="RElb"/>
<origin xyz="0.0 0.0 -0.13519152999999998" rpy="0 0 0" />
<axis xyz="0 1 0" />
<limit velocity="4.0" effort="50" lower="-2.3562" upper="0.0" />
<sensor type="force_torque" name="Relbj_FT">
<always_on>true</always_on>
<visualize>true</visualize>
<update_rate>1000</update_rate>
</sensor>

</joint>

Obviously doing the same thing in the .sdf file works correctly (as shown in the force_torque_demo.world example). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

Comments

Hi @arocchi, did you solve it?

Francisco gravatar imageFrancisco ( 2014-06-05 08:52:14 -0500 )edit

1 Answer

Sort by ยป oldest newest most voted
0

answered 2013-10-14 11:54:11 -0500

nkoenig gravatar image

The first syntax for your .gazebo file is correct. Have you included the .gazebo file in your .xacro file?

I believe you can also directly insert

<gazebo reference="LElbj">
    <cfmDamping>1</cfmDamping>
    <provideFeedback>true</provideFeedback>
    <sensor type="force_torque" name="LElbj_FT">
    <always_on>true</always_on>
    <visualize>true</visualize>
    <update_rate>1000</update_rate>
    </sensor>
</gazebo>

into you .urdf file.

edit flag offensive delete link more

Comments

yes, the .gazebo is included in the .xacro file (coman.gazebo is included by comanrobot.urdf.xacro: <include filename="$(find comanurdf)/urdf/coman.gazebo" />)

arocchi gravatar imagearocchi ( 2013-10-14 12:04:00 -0500 )edit

Hi @nkoenig, It doesn't work. I think is a problem with the sensor tag within a joint because if I put only provideFeedback It's added to the .sdf. I'm working with gazebo 1.9.5

Francisco gravatar imageFrancisco ( 2014-06-05 08:50:21 -0500 )edit

it is a bug in sdformat which I reported some time ago, still not fixed. https://bitbucket.org/osrf/sdformat/issue/38/force_torque-sensors-not-handled-by

arocchi gravatar imagearocchi ( 2014-06-06 03:47:02 -0500 )edit
Login/Signup to Answer

Question Tools

1 follower

Stats

Asked: 2013-10-13 13:05:03 -0500

Seen: 950 times

Last updated: Oct 14 '13